Wednesday, June 3, 2015

strawberry summer cake

What to do when you have a 1/2 gallon bucket of fresh-from-the-farm strawberries?  Besides prolifically thanking the in-laws, you gorge yourself and make cake.  I saw this cake recipe from my favorite food blogger and promptly made it because I knew it would be delicious.  Shocker--it was!

strawberry summer cake
 {my only regret with this cake--it could have used more strawberries!}

strawberry summer cake
{served with powdered sugar and some whipped cream}

strawberry summer cake
from smitten kitchen

makes 8-16 servings (depending on how you slice it)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
7/8 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg (local)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries (local), hulled and halved
  1. Preheat oven to 350. 
  2. Butter a 9- or 10-inch spring-form or cake pan.
  3. Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. 
  4. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 7/8 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. 
  5. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth. 
  6. Pour into prepared pie plate. 
  7. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer (though I had to overlap a few to get them all in). 
  8. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries. 
  9. Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325 and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes.
  10. Let cool in pan on a rack. 
  11. Cut into wedges. Serve with powdered sugar and/or lightly whipped cream.
Next time I make this (and I know that I will), I will definitely put an impossible amount of strawberries on it.  I spaced mine prettily, but next time I will show no hesitancy.

What are you doing with this year's strawberries?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly