Monday, September 8, 2014

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

When The Hubby asked to go and get some Korean BBQ and kimchi stew, I about had a heart attack!  As soon as I recovered, I grabbed the keys, and we headed to a local Korean restaurant.  After The Hubby declared that they were both delicious and that I should try to make them for the blog, I told him that I had already made Bulgogi for him before (very early in our relationship), and he didn't like it.

After my mom came back from visiting my dad while he was stationed in Korea, she would make this at least once a month because it was easy and delicious.  I won't lie when I said I missed it, but now that The Hubby likes it, we will be eating it more!  (I am attempting to make Kimchi as you read this so cross your fingers!)

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)
 {Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)}

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)
 {Marinating the beef}

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)
 {Cook the marinade to reduce it and kill bacteria from the raw meat}

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)
 {Pour the BBQ sauce over the meat, veggies, and rice for extra flavor!}

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

Serves 6-8

2 pounds beef steaks, about 1 inch thick
1 onion (local), thinly sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cloves garlic (local), minced
Steamed vegetables and cooked rice
  1. Mix beef and onions together in a dish suited for marinating.
  2. Mix remaining ingredients, except vegetables and rice, until combined.
  3. Pour marinade over beef and onions; allow ti sit for 24 hours.
  4. Reserve marinade.
  5. Preheat grill to high; grill until steaks reach desired doneness.  You want edges really crisped and blackened.
  6. Meanwhile, heat reserved marinade in a pan until a rolling boil is reached for 10 minutes (to kill bacteria).
  7. Sliced steaks into bite-sized pieces.
  8. Serve BBQ over rice and steamed vegetables with sauce on the side.
I'm really upset that I didn't have chopsticks for these pictures!  When my mom and I made our quarterly trip to the Asian market, I picked up a permanent set because I love eating with chopsticks.  The Hubby needs some practice though!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly