Monday, May 19, 2014

Shaved Asparagus Pizza

For Mother's Day I made my mom lunch.  I made her this pizza because it combines everything she loves--cheese, asparagus, and pizza.  This pizza was easy and so delicious!  We are already making plans to have this pizza again with different combinations of vegetables!

Shaved Asparagus Pizza
 {Shaved Asparagus Pizza}

Asparagus was courtesy of the Farmer's Market which I did not get a picture because my hands were full of bouncing puppy and flowers (I love getting flowers from the local market!).  I also apologize for the pictures.  I forgot my camera, and my god-dog ate my mom's so I used my phone's camera.

Shaving asparagus
 {Shaving asparagus}

Pile of shaved asparagus
 {Pile of shaved asparagus}

Gathering toppings for pizza
 {Gathering toppings for pizza}

Pizza before it was baked
 {Pizza before it was baked}

One year ago:  Sweet and Spicy Roasted Cauliflower Salad

Shaved Asparagus Pizza
from smitten kitchen cookbook

Makes 1-12 inch thin crust pizza

Prep time: 40 minutes
Assembly time: 8 minutes
Cook time:  15 minutes

1 recipe rush hour pizza dough
1/2 pound asparagus spears (or other vegetables of your choice like spinach and mushroom)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
  1. Make pizza dough.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare asparagus.  Do not cut off the ends as these will be your "handles" as you peel the asparagus.  Holding a single spear by its tough end, lay it flat on a cutting board.  Use a vegetable peeler, create long shavings of asparagus by drawing the peeler from the base to the top of the asparagus stalk.  Repeat with remaining stalks, and don't worry if they are not all even!
  3. Preheat oven to 500 with pizza stone inside the oven. 
  4. Roll out pizza dough.
  5. Take the pizza stone out once hot and sprinkle cornmeal on the stone to prevent the pizza from sticking.
  6. Transfer dough to the hot pizza stone.
  7. Working quickly, sprinkle Parmesan on top of dough followed by placing mozzarella on top of Parmesan.
  8. Sprinkle garlic over cheeses.
  9. Top everything with the shaved asparagus.
  10. Bake pizza for 10-15 minutes or until edges are browned, cheese is bubbly, and asparagus slightly charred.
  11. Sprinkle pizza with green onions and some grinds of pepper.
  12. Serve. 
I am so happy to announce that the winner of the salt and pepper grinder giveaway is Michelle!  I have sent the winner a message so I can send them their wonderful prize!

I want to thank everyone who has supported this blog by reading or helping be my food guinea pigs!!!  Here's to another year of blogging! <3

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly