Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tzatziki (Garlic Sauce)

Taking a much beloved family recipe and reworking it to make it healthier is always fantastic!  My family's tzatziki (Middle Eastern/Mediterranean garlic sauce) has always been made with cream cheese which is not the best for the waistline especially since we literally suck it right up!  So I've been on this "replace everything with yogurt" kick, and let me tell you, I've been amazed by the results!

tzatziki
{Tzatziki with a kebab}

tzatziki 
{Close up of tzatziki (yogurt garlic sauce)}

tzatziki ingredients
{Mixing it together couldn't be easier!}

mixed tzatziki
{The hard part?  Trying not to eat it all in one sitting!}

So I replaced the all of cream cheese (16 oz if you want to make it with cream cheese) with a mix of plain yogurt and sour cream.  Let me tell you--I don't even miss the cream cheese!  It's been approved by my mother and brother (in fact, when I brought a container over, I was told I wasn't leaving with it--as I closed the door to leave, my mother and brother were circling each other to keep the rest.....)

One year ago:  Black Bean Ragout

Tzatziki

Makes 8 servings

2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  1. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
  2. For best flavors, allow to sit overnight, but it can be served immediately.
A few recipes to try this delicious garlic sauce with:  Pork Souvlaki Kebabs, Middle Eastern Garlic Chicken, Mediterranean Turkey Burgers, Chicken ShawarmaChana Masala (vegetarian), and Shakshuka (vegetarian). However, we eat this will all kinds of grilled meats and on sandwiches (sometimes by itself!).

Do you have a favorite spread or dipping sauce that you love to eat?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly