Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chocolate Mousse

My office had three birthdays this month (that's 3 of 4 people in the office--the odd man out is in February), and they are pretty evenly spaced out.  So to save our waistlines, I made black bean brownies for the first birthday.  For my birthday, I made this chocolate mousse made with yogurt instead of straight cream.  For the last birthday, I'll be making lemon bars which will be full-fledged goodness!

{Chocolate Mousse} 

Let me tell you--I tried this mousse just as I got done mixing it, and I wasn't too sure how it would turn out.  I let it cool overnight, and the next morning I tried it again--pure and absolute deliciousness!  When I brought it to the office, the ladies remarked that it had the texture of a Yoplait Whip.  Considering I did no whipping--I'll take it!

{Dark chocolate and yogurt}

{Heat cream to melt the chocolate}

{Whisk yogurt until smooth}

{Add chocolate}

{Melted chocolate}

{Add chocolate mix to yogurt}

{Fold until incorporated and then refrigerate}

Chocolate Mousse
from The Shiksa in the Kitchen

Makes about 1 quart

9 oz chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
1 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
17.6 oz Fage Greek yogurt
  1. Break chocolate into even pieces.
  2. In a saucepan, whisk together the cream, sugar, and salt. Heat the milk over medium heat (not high!), whisking frequently, till hot but not boiling.  
  3. Add the chocolate to the cream and let it sit for 1 minute in the heated milk without touching. Gently stir with a spatula till the chocolate melts into the milk. Remove from heat and continue stirring slowly till the cream and chocolate mixture is smooth and no longer grainy.
  4. Drain off any excess liquid from Greek yogurt and use a whisk to whip the yogurt till smooth.
  5. Stir the chocolate mixture again, then pour it into the yogurt, using a spatula to scrape up any remaining chocolate.
  6. Use spatula to fold the chocolate into the yogurt till fully incorporated, light and creamy. This will take 2-3 minutes. Continue folding till all the white has been removed from the yogurt.
  7. Divide the mixture between 6 ramekins, dessert bowls or mugs. Smooth and swirl the top of each serving with a spoon.  The mousse can also be left in a big container and scooped out.
  8. Chill for at least 2 hours, up to overnight. Serve cold.
Mousse is different than pudding which is a custard.  Mousse is basically flavored whipped cream, when made traditionally.  Using yogurt lightens the calorie intake considerably plus yogurt is good for you.  I've made and had real mousse before, and this is definitely on par with the flavor and texture!

Have you ever had real mousse?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly