Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dahl

Dahl in Indian is a typical legume side dish with every meal.  It's like our mashed potatoes (or potatoes in general).  I like to make it because it's healthier for you and a bit more filling than potatoes.  Dahl can be made TONS of ways with different spice combinations, but I wanted to share my favorite.

{Tomato-based Dahl--I served this with Garam Masala Chicken}

{Heating butter and garlic up (I used garlic scapes here)}

{Cook butter until it's nice and golden and garlic is browned on the edges}

{Add lentils and cook for 1 minute}

{Add spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes}

{Add tomato sauce and broth}

{Typically dahl is mushy, but I like texture so I cook my lentils until soft not mushy}

One year ago:  Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip

Dahl

Serves 4

2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cups lentils
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can tomato sauce (about 6 oz)
1 1/2 cups broth
  1. Heat butter in a pan until melted; add garlic and cook until butter is golden and garlic begins to brown on the edges.
  2. Add lentils and saute for 1 minute.
  3. Add turmeric, cumin and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add tomato sauce and broth; bring liquid to a boil then turn the heat down to simmer the lentils.
  5. Cook lentils for 25-30 minutes or until soft but not mushy!
  6. Taste and add salt if needed.
  7. Serve.
What are your favorite grain sides?  Do you prefer rice?  Or are you more exotic and use quinoa or barley?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly