Thursday, June 27, 2013

Garlic Scape Pesto

I've probably mentioned before that my grandparents are growing garlic, and one of the perks (you know--besides GARLIC) is having garlic scapes in the early summer.  Garlic scapes are the stem of the garlic plant that would eventually flower.  However, when growing garlic, you want the plant to concentrate on the growing the bulbs and not the flowers so you pick off the stem once it curls in to itself.  This is called a garlic scape. 

{This is a garlic scape.  See how it's curled in on itself?  Also notice the light green/yellow part?  That would have become the flower if allowed to grow}

Garlic scapes taste just like garlic and can be used in any garlic application.  Because we had so many, not only from their garden, but because we bought some at the Farmer's Market, I wanted to preserve mine so I have it for the next few months (if it lasts that long).  I decided to make garlic scape pesto that can be used on potatoes, meats, and pasta.  It's yummy and VERY garlicky!

{I froze them in snack bags}

{I had to weigh my out because I had so much!}

{Give the scapes an initial chop before putting other ingredients in so you can get the other ingredients in}

{Add parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lime juice}

{Blend until smooth}

{I served the pesto with baked potatoes}

Garlic Scape Pesto

Makes about 4 cups

1/2 pound garlic scapes
2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste**
  1. Place garlic scapes in a food processor until chopped.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
  3. Use or freeze.
**I wouldn't go crazy on the salt and pepper because unless you know what you are going to use it for, you don't want the pesto to make your dish too salty/peppery.

If you want to try some garlic scapes, they will most likely be at your local farmer's market.  If you live in Lexington, Blue Moon Farms is a garlic farm, and they had plenty the last Saturday!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly