Monday, June 17, 2013

African Beef Sandwiches with Yogurt Mint Sauce

Why yes--this is another one of those crazy recipes from a far off place.  Hey--if I can't travel there in my physical form, my culinary skeels (yes skeels not skills) can take me there if only for one meal.  So until my financial situation catches up with my dreams, I will be content with making recipes like this North African-inspired beef sandwich.

{In lieu of pita, I ate it just like this--delicious!}

{Yogurt mint sauce to cool the tongue because this is spicy!}

{Put tomatoes, onions, and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot}

{Rub some love and garlic into that meat!}

{Put the spices right on the meat}

{Finished and ready to eat!}

African Beef Sandwiches with Yogurt Mint Sauce

Make 4 servings

Yogurt sauce:
10 oz Greek yogurt
1 large cucumber, peeled and diced into small chunks
1 teaspoon dried mint (or 1/4 cup fresh mint)

Meat:
1-15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, 4 minced and the other cut in half
2-3 pound chuck roast
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if you don't like it spicy)
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (use less if you don't like it spicy)
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice (if you have cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and black pepper at home just use a dash of each--it's what I did!)

Pita Bread
  1. Combine the ingredients for the yogurt sauce making it the night before or morning of--either way let it sit for at least 8 hours.
  2. Place tomatoes, onions, and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot.
  3. Rub garlic on meat; place in crockpot.
  4. Cover meat with the remaining spices.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  6. Serve beef in pita bread with yogurt sauce.
How about you?  Do you make foods from places you would like to visit one day?  No?...  Just me?...  Well then I encourage you to try it!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly