Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Middle Eastern Garlic Chicken

This was a recipe I found on my exploration into the world of crockpot cooking.  A recipe for Middle Eastern Garlic Chicken?  No brainer for me just because of the word 'garlic'.  This dish is fantastic!  I made soooo much, that my husband, mom, and I have had it in so many different ways: in a pita, on a salad, straight from the bowl (that would be me), in a tortilla, on bread, etc.  I took a gamble and made about 4 pounds which made at least five meals between my mom, husband, and myself.  So feel free to half it for a small family or just eat on this fabulous chicken for a week :o)

{I had mine on lettuce with some feta cheese!}

This recipe was not "in-your-face" garlic despite having roughly 14 cloves of garlic.  The spices really help to round this dish out and tone down the garlic.  In my house, this is definitely a repeat!  In fact, my husband has already asked for this again, and it's only been a week since I made it!

{The original recipe called for allspice which I missed on my grocery list.  Instead I substituted cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and black pepper which worked out just fine!}

{Getting the chicken ready for marination!}

{This is the amount of garlic I used for this dish}

{Mixing the marinade; I sliced half the garlic and mashed the other half}

{Chicken reveling in garlicky glory!}

{Dump everything in a crockpot and turn to warm/low}

{Shred chicken about 15 minutes before service}

{I invited my mom over for dinner; she had hers in a pita pocket}

Middle Eastern Garlic Chicken

Serves 8
4 pounds chicken breast, boneless and skinless
12-15 cloves garlic (depending on the potency), half sliced and the other half minced
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup olive oil
  1. Mix all ingredients together except chicken until well blended.
  2. Place chicken in a container with lid; pour marinade over chicken and marinate overnight.
  3. Place marinated chicken in a crockpot on warm/low for 6-8 hours.
  4. Shred chicken.
  5. Serve chicken over a Greek style salad or in a pita pocket.
Seriously easy dish to make.  Seriously versatile.  Seriously delicious (eyes might have rolled into back of heads and deities might have been blessed).  Seriously just go make it!
Pin It

1 comment:

Printfriendly