Monday, January 21, 2013

Pumpkin and White Bean Stew

Like many people, I reserve pumpkin for fall and winter, and it's generally in sweets.  I was going through my Whole Living magazine when I saw this pumpkin stew recipe.  I made many changes because I wanted to use canned pumpkin which is pretty cheap right now.  Let's just say that this stew is fabulous and full of fiber!

{Yummy savory pumpkin stew}

I know what you are thinking--pumpkin in a stew?!  Are you crazy?!  Besides the fact that I am crazy (just a bit), that's what I want to do--expand your horizons and introduce new foods to you!  That's my mission (see top paragraph under Girl Eats World ;o)  )!  Trust me--this is worth it!

{Cooking spices}

{Adding remaining ingredients}

{Simmering and adding the frozen fresh cilantro}

Pumpkin and White Bean Stew

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 pound pork, cubed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can white beans (navy, pinto, cannellini)
3 cups chicken broth
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (2 tablespoons dried)
  1. Heat oil in a pot; add onions and garlic cooking until clear.
  2. Add pork and cook through; add spices and cook until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
  3. Add remaining ingredients, except fresh cilantro, and simmer stew for 40 minutes.
  4. Add fresh cilantro 5 minutes before stew is served.
Are you intrigued?  I dare you to try this!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly