Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kitchen Beauty: Sea Salt Soak

I turn to my kitchen to make most of my beauty products like exfoliations, moisturizers, etc.  My favorite has to be a sea salt detox bath that can be made in 5 minutes (for 4 baths) and from three ingredients: sea salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda. 

Why do a detox bath?  Skin is the largest organ of the body that gets exposed to the most pollutants and toxins.  According to this site, detox baths help those with skin issues (like myself--I swear my skin hates me...).  Plus, "hot water draws toxins out of the body to the skin’s surface, and while the water cools it pulls toxins from the skin, according to Naturopath Dr. Hazel Parcells. Epsom salts augment this detoxification by causing you to sweat" according to here.  Soaking in a hot bath relieves tension and stress--need I say more?

The second website recommends you put glycerin in the water to not dry out the skin; I haven't had an issue, but I do rub a light layer of grapeseed oil on my skin afterwards which makes this bath ritual feel that much more luxurious (wear old clothes that you don't mind messing up with oil).  My skin ends up very happy and soft after this soak!
 
I take one when the day has been hard, when muscles are sore from exercising, or when I simply feel like relaxing.  Making this at home is much cheaper than buying it pre-made, and you can customize it to the scents you feel like using. 


{Mixing salts}

{Store in an air tight container}

Sea Salt Detox Bath

Makes 4 cups

1 cup sea salt (your choice of origin)
2 cups baking soda
1 cup Epsom salt
Essential oils (optional)
  1. Mix all ingredients together. 
  2. Store in an airtight container until needed.
  3. Add 1 cup to hot bath water.
  4. Add 3-4 drops of any essential oils you would like to use.
  5. Soak for 20-25 minutes relaxing your mind and body.
This makes a great gift!  Just add the oils (if you desire) and a gift tag with the instructions.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly