Friday, January 18, 2013

Food for Thought: Global Health

I listen to NPR on my way to and from work to get national and local news, and I heard an article regarding the fact that the US ranks below 16 other rich countries concerning health.  I was quite shocked at the report to say the least!

The most shocking was that Americans tend to consume about 4000 calories a day!  WHAT?!  That's twice the recommended calorie intake for an adult!  Plus, most Americans don't get enough movement in their day which I was just as guilty as everyone else although now I am working out 5 days a week for 30 minutes (alternating yoga and cardio). 

I guess many people are ignorant to the fact that if they put junk in their bodies, they will get health problems that are awful, painful, and expensive.  Let's start to take care of our bodies!  It's the only one that we will get, and we have to grow old in it!  Get that sleep we need, the exercise our bodies are meant to do, and feed ourself the nourishing foods so we work at optimal levels!   Personally, I ate well enough but didn't exercise.  When I started last month, I forgot how fantastic I feel when I exercise--my body is warmer (faster metabolism); I sleep better; I eat better; I feel more productive and energetic--just SO. MUCH. BETTER!!!!

What do you think of this report?  Did it shock you?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly