Friday, October 26, 2012

Roasted Apple Spice Cupcakes

In true fashion, smitten kitchen posted ANOTHER recipe that I knew I immediately had to try: roasted apple spice sheet cake.  However, she made a very large amount of the cake so I did have to cut the recipe in half which still ended up making lots of cupcakes, but no compliants because I got to share it with my wonderful coworkers who enjoyed every. last. one!

{Roasting the apples before putting it in the batter--GENIUS!!!}

I made these for my brother's Welcome Home party--not that I need an excuse to make delicious food!  I figured that while he was here enjoying the fall, he should make every day (and second) count by filling up on roasted and spiced fruits and vegetables of the season!

{Pre-roasting--I used MacIntosh.  They have spots because I might have waited ALMOST too long to make this recipe!}

{Roasted--they were really dry--it was strange}

{Chopping apples}

These are deliciously moist, and another easy recipes (although maybe not so with the dish factor...)!  In fact--I am eating one as I write this!  Oohhh I should try it with peanut butter!

{After adding the eggs}

{About to start alternating flour and applesuace mixture}

{Folding in roasted apples to the batter}

Roasted Apple Spice Cupcakes

Makes 40 cupcakes

Ingredients
6 apples, any variety you prefer, peeled, halved, and cored
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup honey
2 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Line a roasting pan with parchment paper; place apples face down on the paper and roast in a single layer until dry to the touch about 20 minutes. Cool.
  3. Reduce oven to 350.
  4. Line cupcake tin with liners (if making a cake, grease pan).
  5. In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together until combined.
  6. In another bowl, whisk honey and applesauce together.
  7. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  8. Add eggs to butter mixture one at a time until incorporated.
  9. Add 1/3 of flour mixture to butter mixture; then add 1/2 of applesauce mixture. Keep alternating, ending with the flour mixture.
  10. Chop roasted apples into small, bite-size pieces and fold into batter.
  11. Fill cupcake liners to the top (batter doesn't rise much).
  12. Bake 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
What foods do you start making when fall comes?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly