Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Coconut Ice Cream with Chocolate and Roasted Almonds

One of my favorite flavor combinations: chocolate, roasted almonds, and coconut (Almond Joy!!!).  The other wonderful women in my life love it too.  My mother requested that I make this after a fiasco with a real Almond Joy ice cream bar (she is lactose-intolerant), and so I was happy to do it. 


Since she is lactose-intolerant, making ice cream from cream or milk was out of the question.  So I substituted coconut milk instead!  This ice cream was delicious!  It's also easier to make than the last ice cream recipe that I made.





Coconut Ice Cream with Chocolate and Roasted Almonds

Makes 2 quarts

Ingredients

6 egg yolks
cups sugar
2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup sliced almonds, roasted
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 oz butter

  1. Heat coconut milk until it begins to steam.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light lemon in color (I used farm eggs so the color was closer to lemon).
  3. Prepare an ice bath (ice in a bowl with water).
  4. When coconut milk is heated, pour slowly into the egg mixture whisking the whole time.
  5. Put bowl with coconut ice cream base in the water bath.  Coconut will separate if you don't cool it quickly!
  6. When base is cool, place in fridge overnight.
  7. Freeze base according to your ice cream maker's directions.
  8. When coconut ice cream has achieved a soft serve stage, mix in chocolate and almonds.
  9. Freeze overnight.
  10. Serve!
I've been tasked with a Banana Bread Ice Cream by my brother who is coming in about a month for my wedding!  I'll be so happy and excited to see him!  Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how to make this ice cream so my mother can eat it....Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly